When Should I Change My Oil? Get Your Vehicle Winter-Ready with Our Checklist
Winter driving in Southern Ontario can be challenging, with cold, wet, and slippery conditions. At Precise Car Service, we understand the importance of properly preparing your vehicle for winter to ensure your safety and peace of mind. Surprisingly, the Car Care Council reports that 70% of drivers do not take the necessary steps to get their vehicle ready for winter. We care about our customers, and we want to make sure your vehicle is in top shape for winter driving. Alongside our comprehensive Winter Driving Vehicle Checklist, here’s some essential information about oil changes:
- Follow the recommended maintenance schedule: Oil changes are an integral part of vehicle maintenance, and it’s crucial to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Regular oil changes help keep your engine running smoothly and protect it from cold-weather damage. In recent studies, it has been found that changing your oil every 8,000 to 12,000 kilometers or every six months, whichever comes first, is generally a good guideline for most vehicles. However, newer vehicles equipped with synthetic oil may have extended oil change intervals of up to 16,000 to 24,000 kilometers.
- Consider your driving conditions: If you frequently drive in severe conditions, such as extreme cold or stop-and-go traffic, you may need to change your oil more often. These conditions can put extra stress on your engine, making more frequent oil changes necessary. Recent research suggests that frequent short trips, towing heavy loads, and driving in dusty or sandy environments can also accelerate oil degradation, requiring more frequent oil changes.
- Check your owner’s manual: Your vehicle’s manufacturer provides specific guidelines on oil change intervals based on the make, model, and engine type. Refer to your owner’s manual for the most up-to-date recommendations. Manufacturers often update their recommendations to align with advancements in engine technology and lubricants. It’s essential to stay informed about any changes in your vehicle’s oil change intervals.
- Monitor your oil level and quality: Regularly check your oil level and quality between oil changes. If you notice a significant drop in oil level or the oil appears dirty and contaminated, it’s advisable to have it changed sooner rather than later. Additionally, some newer vehicles are equipped with oil life monitoring systems that use sensors and algorithms to determine the optimal time for an oil change based on driving conditions and oil quality.
- Consult with our experts: Our experienced technicians at Precise Car Service stay up-to-date with the latest industry recommendations and advancements. They can assess your driving habits, vehicle condition, and the specific requirements of your vehicle to provide personalized recommendations for oil change intervals. Relying on their expertise ensures that you’re following the most current guidelines for oil changes.
Remember, maintaining clean and free-flowing oil is crucial during winter to protect your engine from damage during cold starts. Regular oil changes not only extend the life of your engine but also contribute to fuel efficiency and optimal performance.
When it comes to getting your vehicle winter-ready, Precise Car Service is here to assist you. Schedule an appointment with us, and our knowledgeable technicians will perform a thorough inspection, including an oil change and other essential checks, to ensure your vehicle is fully prepared to handle another winter in Southern Ontario.
With almost 40 years of providing quality, dependable, and friendly service, Precise Car Service is your trusted partner for full-service auto repair, tune-ups, car maintenance, and car repairs. We proudly serve Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Grimsby, Winona, and Burlington, and our commitment to expert and honest advice, coupled with exceptional service, sets us apart.
For any questions or to schedule an appointment, please contact us at 905-643-4460 or complete our inquiry form.